Each August, our sponsors allow us to run competitions with prizes they donate. Please support them and visit their websites whenever you can. The rules of the competition are at the foot of this page, including the start at finish dates when entries will be accepted. The 2023 competition details and prizes are still being finalised, but the list below is close to final.
PRIZES for Event Organisers who are genealogy societies or similar.
PRIZES for individuals
1 x $150 digital Momento voucher.
1 x DNA conference ticket for November 2023
1 x printed copy of The Good Genealogist book
– $100 Genealogy ebooks discount coupon - Winner
– Unlock the Past publications (print and ebooks) – value $100 Winner;
- 1 copy of Family History for Beginners and Beyond – 16th edition (normal retail price $39)
Family History ACT’s flagship publication of beginning family history covers 21 key research topics ranging from Being Organised through DNA, Military records, old photographs, libraries, land records, Chinese research, European research and other topics. This edition features a lie-flat binding allowing the book to open flat at any page.
- 1 copy of Every Family Has a Story 2022 (normal retail price $58)
The book has 86 short stories from the 2022 E.M. Fletcher Writing Competition hosted by Family History ACT. This volume brings together 86 stories from entrants across metropolitan and regional Australia and canvases themes familiar to family historians. The many genres in which the stories are told will stimulate you to think in different ways about your own family history, and to find a new voice for telling your own stories. winner;
1 x membership. winner
1 x education credits up to the value of $150. winner
– 2 hour block of research. Winner;
- 1 x 12 month membership. Winner
- attendance at 'Finding Your Family' - a Beginners course in Research, or free attendance at three Learn@QFHS seminars. Winner
- 2 x Ancestry DNA kits winners:
- 2 x 12-month UK Heritage Plus subscriptions winners:
Prizes for those who register and attend the Opening Ceremony on 1 August 2023
– $50 Genealogy ebooks discount coupon - Winner
Prizes for those who register and attend the Closing Ceremony in Sydney on 31 August 2023
– Unlock the Past publications (print and ebooks) – value $50 Winner;
Instructions on how to enter the competition form part of the terms and conditions. The 2023 competition opens on 1 August 2023 and closes 11:59pm on 30 August 2023.
Terms and Conditions:
- Entry is only open to Australian/New Zealand genealogy and family history societies, and to individuals living in Australia or New Zealand.
- Australian/NZ genealogy and family history societies with events listed in the NFHM web calendar for August 2023 will be automatically entered into the prize draw for societies, with one entry for each Society or Group that lists one or more events.
- Prizes for the opening and closing events are available to those who register and attend the events.
- The giveaway for individuals commences on 1 August 2023 and entries close at 11:59pm on 30 August 2023.
- The winning entries for the Opening Ceremony will be announced during or soon after the event. Other prizes will be announced at or soon after the closing function. We will attempt to contact each winner using the Email address provided. Note that you must be present at the opening and/or closing ceremony to claim that prize.
- Individuals can enter the prize draw by sending an email to
- Email addresses submitted as part of the giveaway are not used for any other purpose.
- Prize winners will be notified by email within 7 days of the prize draw.
- Prizes are not transferable, exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash, except where stated.
- No responsibility is taken for late, non-delivered emails or incomplete email addresses.
- Where travel is involved in the prize, the winner will be responsible for meals, spending money, transport to and from departure and arrival points, travel insurance and all other ancillary costs unless otherwise stated.
- The judges decision is final.